Re: util-linux [was Re: remote X applications]

On Friday 29 June 2001 20:36, Paul Emsley wrote:

>      > If stuff is that portable, shouldn't it be moved out of
>      > util-linux and put with the general GNU utils??? My impression
>      > from the previous posts is that util-linux is for
>      > Linux-specific utils that are not portable to other arches???
>
>         I agree.  It seems much depends on glibc, not linux (thanks
>       Igor).
>
>         But there will be Flack(tm).

Hmmm. If I was a good enough programmer to write an OS util I would be proud
if it was portable to many OSes. We could probably use positive phrasing and
ego-stroking to get our way here:

<brown_nose>
Dear programmer/maintainer
We have noticed that you have utility-X in the util-linux package. Are you
aware that this excellent utility is both useful on and easily portable to
other operating systems? You may consider having utility-X moved amongst it's
peers in the general GNU utilities so that more people can take advantage of
your excellent work.
Best wishes, the HURD hackers.
</brown_nose>

(My wife read this over my shoulder. She speaks english as a second language.
It took several minutes to explain the meaning of a brown nose :-)

Three possible results:

1) Programmer says: Nup (and we continue to port it ourselves).

2) Programmer says: Cool (I like to think this is probable)

3) Programmer says: Those HURD people are reaally nice. I might join the
project. (Obviously the best response)

Only slightly tongue-in-cheek there.

Glenn Alexander - The man with no surname and a silly hat.
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
(Now avaliable in China!)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~glenalec (last update: 2001.06.29)

I use GNU/Linux: http://www.linux.org
from Debian: http://www.debian.org