FAT Support

I was wondering what the status is of FAT support?  Is it possible to
mount FAT12 floppies or FAT hard drives?  I noticed Marcus had an
implementation about a year old.  How much does it take to implement
something like that?  If I've got some FAT libraries that I wrote for
another project (that simply open the device, ie /dev/fd0, as a file and
manipulate the FAT table and entries via stdio calls like fread/fwrite and
fseek) would it be a good exercise to build an implementation (ie, 40-60
hrs) to learn how to hack translators?

Also, I've been a bit confused as to where I can find recent packages.  I
tried using dselect and getting packages from
alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/...  but there weren't too many files
there.  I've been downloading packages now from
ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/...  is that where the latest ones are?

Thanks!
Tom