Re: gnumach & plex86

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 09:46:15PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you want to boot gnumach in plex86, make sure you disable FPE by
> commenting out the line in i386/bogus/fpe.h  Otherwise Mach will panic in
> fpe_init().
>
> Now it comes as far as probing devices, but I have no time to track it
> beyond that right now.
>
> oskit-mach doesn't work so well.  The single processor version crashes early,
> while the smp version only prints the Welcome message and comes to halt
> without error.
>
> I use the boot floppy from
> alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/boot-19990907.disk
>
> But of course I loop mount it and install a new kernel in boot/gnumach.gz.
>
> Still no cigar, but plex86 is much faster now and gnumach doesn't crash
> immediately, so we make progress.

Just how fast is plex86 on your machine? Last time I tried it (a couple
of weeks ago) it was extreeeeeeemly slow. It took 30 seconds just to draw
the GRUB menu. When I tried bochs, it was much faster, which is strange
because bochs is emulated and plex86 is not. But that might have been
caused by something or other on my machine.

It's a good thing that I finally got a second box. Right now I'm trying
to set it up so I could comunicate with it through the serial port.
BTW, does anyone have suggestions for serial line communication programs
other then minicom and `cat >/dev/ttyS1' and `cat /dev/ttyS1' in two
different xterms?

Igor