Re: Easy Guide feedback

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:17:45PM -0400, Thomas A Langan wrote:

> a) I used it today :)
>
> b)  I am still in the process of installing so I will probably use it some
> more this week.  I'm having some trouble with hardware compatibility (the
> boot disk in marcus' alpha.gnu.org/pub/hurd/contrib folder dies at some
> point),

You are not supposed to use it anyway, it is almost two years old.

You can find a more recent grub disk in gnu/grub/old at the site,
and it is easy to make a recent one with grub yourself.

Specify the installed gnumach.gz and serverboot.gz in the filesystem
you installed the Hurd in.

> partitions.  It would be nice to have a section on doing a clean install
> of
> HURD for those who do not have Linux installed.  Is it necessary that I
> install Debian?  What is The Right Way to install HURD right now if you
> don't have any OS installed?

There is no self contained installation, although you can boot linux from
a floppy and install the big tar file from there.

The self contained installation will involve the new debian-installer