Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

Well, I finally got Hurd running, even it's not much useful yet. It sure
seemed to be the EATA-driver stuff that probably locked me machine
down. As somebody else at my place here want's to take a look on
Hurd, we installed last night on his old machine, which is a terrible slow
machine. But we compiled a new GNUMach-kernel. The question is, if
I got the latest version. We just have found a gnumach-1.2.orig.tar.gz and
applied a gnumach_1.2-9.diff.gz on it, but I thought, I've seen a
1.2.5-vesrion
somewhere laying around, but I don't remember where? I looked already
on different ftp's like ftp://alpha.gnu.org and ftp://ftp.fsn.hu ...
Anyway, I did go all the way through the installation as Marcus wrote in
the freeX 4/2001, but I got stuck mounting the my cdrom('s) with the
settrans. Since I have just 2 SCSI-CD-Drives, I was wondering, why
they are not mountable. Before mounting, I did that:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV cd0 cd1         <- hope that are the right ones?

Then I tried to mount with

settrans -a /cdrom /hurd/isofs /dev/cdx     <- where x= 0 or 1

But I get an error telling something about a (SONY/PHILLIPS) :0xffffff2
alike.
(Probably should have logged that,*sorry*)...

Now after going through the HW Compat List is states:
>  All SCSI CD-ROM drives with a block size of 514 or 2048 should be
>  supported if the controller is supported.
>  Almost all EIDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drives are supported.
>  No proprietary CD-ROM drives are supported at this time.
>  No CD-R (recordable CD) devices are supported at this time.

I configured the kernel with a:

./configure --enable-lpr --enable-floppy \
                 --enable-ide --enable-am53c974 \
                 --enable-ne2kpci

So either I missed some driver to enable, or I did maybe the wrong MAKEDEV?
Since the kernel boots that fast, the messages are gone before I catch up.
Is there some kind of kernel-message logging at boottime like dmesg under
Linux?

Henning
Henning Riedel
Student of Computer Science (Technical), IF99w1
HTW Mittweida, University of Applied Science
e-mail:        hriedel@htwm.de
Homepage:  http://www.htwm.de/hriedel