Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 01:43:28PM +0200, Andreas L. Gustafsson wrote:

> I for one just hate dpkg and friends! :)
>
> If I just can get gcc to work under Hurd I'll be happy again! :)
>
> Seriously, I do think that to make Hurd more popular and more widely used
> we need to move away from the .deb way only as fast as possible. The most
> popular Linux systems out there is still rpm based, and to attract more
> developers to Hurd I think we need a distro based on something else than
> .deb, but I think that this might not be the best place to discuss it.
>
> If someone has any pointers for me where stuff like this is discussed
> though, or want to start discussion them. Please mail me!

The great part is that this software is GPLd, so you're welcome to do
'home brew' type of work.  I used to do this, and found that I learned
alot about how the Hurd works very quickly.

However: Thomas, Roland, Marcus, and Gord use Debian, and like using
the Debian BTS for tracking bugs.  I think Neal uses Debian.  I only
report porting problems to the upstream Debian maintainers, and it's
up to them if they'd like to report portability problems to the
upstream.  You may find that not using .deb's is a long uphill battle
without a tremendous amount of support.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey