Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Henning Riedel wrote:

> You got the point, the installation seems to be ok, except some minor things
> that might be a little confusing:
> 1.) Looking for the basehurd.tgz on the CD. There are a lot of subdirs on
> the
>      CD's. I might be gotten a little to comfortable by Linux-installations
> from
>      the main distributor's like Suse.., and I didn't install a Debian/Linux
> for a
>      while. Having ./contrib ./main ... aso, you might have a basedir
> somewhere
>      in the install-script saying, there is the basehurd.tgz. Just a little
> confusing,
>      but finally found the right one.
> 2.) After having installed the basehurd.tgz the menu doesn't offer the next
> thing
>      like rebooting, it stays at installing the Hurd base-system (is there
> still another
>      step, or could I reboot?)
> 3.) There might be a offer to install GRUB after installing the basehurd?
> Some
>      users might not have the GRUB already installed, they probably have
> Lilo
>      or even others, that are not multiboot-capable.
> Don't take that wrong, I was a little bit in fury, and I won't be put to be
> a whiner
> or like that. This should be a suggestion for the next CD's if you agree.

Thanks for this.  I am not planning to revise the initial boot for F2, but
there will be a major revision of this part of the Hurd CD in the not too
distant future and comments like this will be a very useful guide.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org