Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farid Hajji" <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

> > > Ahemm... while we're at it: if you're booting from the F1 ISO, it
> > > may well be, that you're first booting Linux, not gnumach. At least,
> > > that was the way, Phil did realize the E1-series I'm using here. That
> > > probably stuck in F1 as well. Are you sure that _gnumach_ hangs, not
> > > _linux_? I know, it's a stupid question, but you never know...
> > >
> > The intial installation ramdisk is Linux for all the Hurd installaion
CDs.
> > If you are having problems with this part of the installation I would
like
> > to hear about it.
> I didn't have any problems at all here, and as far as I understood it,
> Henning did not either. BTW, using Linux for install ramdisk was a good
> Kludge!
You got the point, the installation seems to be ok, except some minor things
that might be a little confusing:
1.) Looking for the basehurd.tgz on the CD. There are a lot of subdirs on
the
     CD's. I might be gotten a little to comfortable by Linux-installations
from
     the main distributor's like Suse.., and I didn't install a Debian/Linux
for a
     while. Having ./contrib ./main ... aso, you might have a basedir
somewhere
     in the install-script saying, there is the basehurd.tgz. Just a little
confusing,
     but finally found the right one.
2.) After having installed the basehurd.tgz the menu doesn't offer the next
thing
     like rebooting, it stays at installing the Hurd base-system (is there
still another
     step, or could I reboot?)
3.) There might be a offer to install GRUB after installing the basehurd?
Some
     users might not have the GRUB already installed, they probably have
Lilo
     or even others, that are not multiboot-capable.
Don't take that wrong, I was a little bit in fury, and I won't be put to be
a whiner
or like that. This should be a suggestion for the next CD's if you agree.

The actual booting problem came up booting gnumach, and I think it's not the
oskit-mach. On that point, Farid suggested to read the startup-mach-code, to
see, which component comes right next. Which part should I look in to get
any further? I have the gnumach-source here, but where is the startup code
in?
As I wrote before, the system isn't that fancy, somebody said, it could be
the
VIA southbridge on my board. That means I should disable the eatadma
probably.

I will see.
Henning
Henning Riedel
Student of Computer Science (Technical), IF99w1
HTW Mittweida, University of Applied Science
e-mail:        hriedel@htwm.de
Homepage:  http://www.htwm.de/hriedel