Re: cross-apt

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:58:27PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     Jeff> Is there a reasonable way under Debian to do cross-apts?  A
>     Jeff> friend of mine has a laptop with a winmodem, (so no PPP
>     Jeff> available, network card is a pc-card), but he wants to play.
>     Jeff> His main system is a Debian unstable, so I'm hoping there's
>     Jeff> a way to do apt-get --root=/hurd --system=hurd-i386 install
>     Jeff> foo
>
> Is
>
> chroot /hurd
> apt-get install foo
>
> insufficient for your needs? (note: you are going to have some
> problems with installing hurd stuff on a Linux system no matter what
> you do... Think of postinst scripts that call binary programs...).

That's why dpkg-hurd removes postinst and preinst scripts from a package
before installing it.

I filed a wishlist item against dpkg for a
--do-not-run-postinst-and-presinst-scripts option long time ago, but never
got a response on it. It would be truly useful. It would make dpkg-hurd
completely obsolete.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de