Re: Removal of dpkg and bsdutils from gnu-20010308.tar.gz install.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:57:11PM +0100, Alexis Paul Musgrave wrote:
> After my first apt-get upgrade after installing from the
> gnu-20010308.tar.gz, i get..........
>
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   bsdutils: Depends: sysvinit (>= 2.59-2) but it is not installable
>   dpkg: Depends: sysvinit (>= 2.72) but it is not installable
>
> Um, can i safely get rid of dpkg ? doesn't sound too nice to me...
> Remove or not ? Or is this in some FAQ I haven't read ?
>
> ,_Muz_

Hey _Muz_, just set the sources.list to point at:

deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/debian unstable main
(I think that is where it is) and install the dummy sysvinit package. If you need
more help I (chillywilly) will be hanging out in #hurd.

Dan
--
Daniel E Baumann       baumannd@msoe.edu
Web location:          http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd

And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use
copyleft all the same.
      -- RMS