init in HURD

Hi!

I just recently dived deeper into the HURD and still haven't understood
much of it, but I hope to contribute some day. But since I don't have a
debian/Linux based system, and don't plan on getting any (tried it and
didn't like it) I have had some difficulty getting started.

So while I get the chance to actually test the HURD I'd like to hang
around and learn some more and maybe ask some questions.

One question to begin with:

Why is there no 'init' for the HURD and what should be used instead? I've
read somewhere on the web that is's "unix cruft" but I have a hard time
seeing how it can be replaced. What's the big minds thinking?

/andreas