Re: gawk

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 11:03:19AM -0800, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> And make can't cope with the :'s in the directory.
>
> Who should see this bug?  Turtle for creating the directory in the
> first place?  Gawk for using a colon in the version number?  Or Make
> for not coping well with:

I have raised this on debian-policy, and we should give them a couple of days
to consider all points. But my current opinion is that gawk should be fixed.
Almost I gave in, but there is really no point in working round such stuff,
and Niels added a very nice real life example where it could fail for anyone
(not just turtle).

> PWD=`pwd` (This is actually defined in debian/rules, but it's a common
> construct)

It depends on where you use it. Using it in make rules is a no-no, if you
ask me. Someone pointed out that CURDIR should be used in make, btw.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de