Hurd cross-compiler confusion (What have I gotten myself into??)

I've found the GNU Hurd Hacker's Kit on alpha.gnu.org, and it looks
promising,
but I must admit I am very confused about what I'm doing here.

My Hurd partition is /gnu
My Hurd staging partition is /hurd

I am unsure exactly where the cross-compiler links should be... perhaps
in
/usr/local/i686-gnu ??

I have downloaded the entire ghhk directory, but am floundering. I know
I won't be
able to boot Hurd until I rebuild gnumach for my Tekram card. I have
grabbed the
latest cvs base system tarball and unpacked it in /gnu.

Speaking of which... er... does anybody have a gnumach build for a
Tekram D-390F
that they could .. say .. send me? Don't need floppy, ide, or anything
else right now.

I have been following some old instructions from 1998 on cross-compiling
which
have resulted in big downloads of probably useless sources because I
don't know
which versions to grab so I just get the latest ones.

I think it would be a real boon if you Debian Hurd guru's could whip
together a
regular Debian-Linux-i386 package that has a cross-compiler for whatever
Hurd you
are working on. In my case, all I want to be able to do is cross compile
gnumach
right now, but because of Linux's SMP support, it might be attractive to
build
Hurd packages from Linux until gnumach's SMP is fixed.

This ghhk directory looks pretty outdated, also, I would like to use
gnumach 1.2
as it has better support for my SCSI card, is this a problem? Which
version does
the Debian cvs tarball use?