Re: Hurd F1 CDs

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > Did yahi (Yet Another Hurd Install) and this worked fine.  BUT settrans -g
> > /dev/hd2 had to be used to enable the cdrom drive to open.  The clumsy fix
> > was to recreate /dev/hd2 before remounting the CD.
>
> Please be more precise in exactly what you saw.  settrans -ga (note the a)
> should be all that is required, and should not leave /dev/hd2 unusable.

All the combinations I could think of.  I switched to the -a (active) as
it worked better.  I had been using passive previously.

settrans -a /cdrom /hurd/isofs /dev/hd2  ---- mounted nicely.
settrans -ag [-fag]   --- "Try 'settrans --help..'"
settrans -ag /cdrom  ---- unmounted, drawer locked.
Followed by   settrans -ag /dev/hd2  --- drawer unlocked.
Followed by   settrans -a /cdrom /hurd/isofs /dev/hd2  ---- mounted
Followed by   settrans -ag /dev/hd2  --- Device busy
Followed by   settrans -ag /cdrom  ---- unmounted, drawer locked.
Followed by   settrans -ag /dev/hd2  --- drawer unlocked.
etc etc.

Using the -f option the results were the same except that "-fag /dev/hd2"
would work before "-fag /cdrom".  However, both still had to be used
before the drawer would unlock.

With passive translators /dev/hd2 had to be rebuilt before the CD could be
remounted.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - prefered.           philipc@debian.org