Re: Status update

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 06:20:49AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > Okay - Are maintainers typically willing to accept these changes?
>
> The Debian maintainer will have to, because unbuildable packages get a bug
> with severity "important". Upstream should be willing, too.

<giggle>  I'm going to be 'popular' aren't I?

> > I have been slowly adding packages one by one.  I'm starting with
> > anything that's been uploaded before.
>
> It would be useful to have a full status on the whole source archive.
> However, we don't want to build them all. So just add a directory for every
> source package, and put it on hold immediately[1] (by setting the "suspended"
> flag). Then just remove the suspended flags for every package you want to
> monitor. This way the wb pages will contain a complete report on the status
> of the Hurd port (how many packages are up to date, out of date, not yet
> build etc).

I would like to wait until we have the master-slave turtle thing working
for this.  I will probably run the master (in do-nothing-else mode) on a
Linux box somewhere to help with uptime.

> [1] Should be a shell one liner, I can work it out for you.

> Otherwise I am going to set up a dummy autobuilder, which only generates
> status reports, for Sourceforge or Debian web pages.

Shouldn't the master turtle handle this?

> (in concurrence to
> buildd.debian.org/quinn-diff, which I find inaccurate at times. But as it
> might help you to get a quick list of out of date packages, have a look
> anyway:
> http://buildd.debian.org/quinn-diff/output/unstable/by_section-hurd-i386.txt
> ).

It hasn't picked anything up that's gone in this week...

> > I would like to see 'make check' become a standard part of building debian
> > packages for those that support it.  I think perl already does this - I
> > don't know of the best way to suggest this, however.
>
> Send a patch to the Debian policy or pakaging manual (whatever is more
> appropriate) to debian-policy@lists.debian.org and ask for seconds. You get
> mine, and maybe Rolands. That's enough to get the ball rolling.

Packaging manual, I think.  Can I send it to you for proofing first so
that I don't make a *complete* fool of myself with my first post there? =)

--
My UUism extends beyond national boundaries.