Re: Old message about ftpfs that works :)

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 09:07:09PM +0100, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> "Frederico S. Muñoz" wrote:
>
> > Of course, with my fixes to ftpfs, I just do the following:
> >
> > settrans -c /ftp /hurd/hostmux /hurd/ftpfs /
> >
> > and then:
> >
> > cd /ftp/ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-hurd-i386
> >
> > and then I can directly dpkg -i without needing to worry further.
>
> Ah.. Now this seems to explain some of the problems I've been having:
>
> moxon:~# showtrans /ftp
> /hurd/hostmux /hurd/ftpfs /
> moxon:~# ls /ftp
> ftp.debian.org  jimbo.trustix.com  sunsite.uio.no
> moxon:~# cd /ftp/ftp.debian.org
> moxon:/ftp/ftp.debian.org# ls
> debian  du-s  incoming  lost+found  pub  serverfull.msg  welcome.msg
> moxon:/ftp/ftp.debian.org# cd /ftp/ftp.trustix.net
> moxon:/ftp/ftp.trustix.net# ls
> bin  etc  lib  pub
> moxon:/ftp/ftp.trustix.net# cd /ftp/sunsite.uio.no
> bash: cd: /ftp/sunsite.uio.no: Gratuitous error
>
> ;)

It does? Apparently you had a waaaay better clue than me; I never did
actually accessed ftp with ftpfs before I encountered this message, no
even one single server.

> Might the problem be that ftpfs does not especially much like wu-ftpd?
> The debian site runs some proftpd, Trustix has "Version 6.5/OpenBSD,
> linux port 0.3.2", while the Norwegian sunsite has wu-2.6.1(2).
> Tests against other wu-ftp servers seem to show the same "Gratuitous
> error".
>
> I remember some talk when wu-2.6.0 or something was released about the
> fact that it's implementation of ftp had some quirks that made it
> incompatible with some clients.  I believe that /hurd/ftpfs might just
> be one of those clients.  Has anybody else had success running ftpfs
> against wu-ftpd >= 2.0.6?

You are right. I tried that same server a one other running wu and it
would stall and eventually give a a gratutious error while doind a cd.

BTW, any info on how to rm the dirs that filed? After reboot they are
all gone, but in the same session they stay there ad eternum,
appearing and giving errors at every ls. I have tried rm, rm -f,
rmdir, a different settrans, kill and kill -9 to the translator
attached, and no results; it's either busy or it's unable to unlink.

Best Regards,

fsm

--
Frederico S. Muñoz		GNU	http://www.gnu.org