Re: Reports & Questions

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 04:25:39PM +0000, Bob Ham <u9rah@dcs.shef.ac.uk> was heard to say:
> > Syntax error on line 68 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
> > Cannot load /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_log_config.so into server: libc.so.6: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
> > /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> >
> > This is is umm.. bad.  I'm not a perl hacker, so I won't attempt to look
> > at apacheconfig.  I can't think why libc.so.6 can't be found, but
> > whatever it is, it can't be good.
>
>   That's easy.  libc.so.6 can't be found because it doesn't exist.  On the
> Hurd, libc is libc.so.0.2.  If something is trying to find libc.so.6, that
> probably means it was somehow linked against a Linux libc.  You couldn't
> be accidentally trying to install Linux versions of the apache modules,
> could you? (faint hope)

Ah ha! libc.so.0.2, of course.  The package that the apache dso is from
is apache-common, which is Arch: hurd-i386, as with apache.  It would
seem that the server executable was compiled on hurd, but not the dso's.

Should this be submitted as a bug?  If so, how?

Bob

--
Bob Ham:  bob@ham.org  http://pkl.net/~node/
IRC: 'node' on irc.openprojects.net: #slashdot  ICQ: 4396425 'node'

"The GNU philosophy is about freedom. To be free one must have
personal power. Personal power is an individual thing, difficult to
obtain and quick to perish." --Krisno Pryosusilo