Re: Reports & Questions

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 04:25:39PM +0000, Bob Ham wrote:
> node@genius:~$  xterm
> xterm: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw.so.7: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> As root, libXaw.so.7 isn't found normally, but is found if
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set.  I can't think why running as root would change
> the behaviour of the interpretation of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

  Is your xterm binary setuid root? Have you _really_ tried other
  applications?

> I hope someone can help, as I would like to have X working.

  I have no problems running X both as root and regular user. Just
  installed lastest 4.0.2 packages from pool/, cp linux/XF86Config
  hurd/XF86Config, edit XF86Config, settrans mouse and kbd, chmod +s
  /X11R6/bin/X, edit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config, export PATH and
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Works great!

arkadi.
--
Today my crystal ball isn't clear