Re: Network install?

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Roland McGrath wrote:

> I bet this is already covered in some FAQ someplace.
>
> The recommended plan is to install a tiny linux system first.  As well as
> being the easiest way to bootstrap (assuming you have disk space to spare).
> This gives you something else to use to mount hurd partitions and fix stuff
> if you ever get so the hurd won't boot.
>
> Just do the most minimal installation of your favorite linux distribution,
> debian or whatever.  You can install grub from the linux world too if you want.
> Then make your hurd partition(s) with mke2fs -o hurd, and unpack a base
> system tarball onto your hurd root partition.

Well, this would certainly appear to be the concensus on how to go
forth.. thanks all for the advice.

Bob

--
Bob Ham:  bob@ham.org  http://pkl.net/~node/
IRC: 'node' on irc.openprojects.net: #slashdot  ICQ: 4396425 'node'

"The GNU philosophy is about freedom. To be free one must have
personal power. Personal power is an individual thing, difficult to
obtain and quick to perish." --Krisno Pryosusilo