Re: CORBA vs MIG

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 06:10:34PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I'm glad that the discussion has quieted downk.  It seemed to me there was
> a lot of talking and no new information, and noone actually doing anything
> about anything at all.  This is a subject that I know a lot about and have
> thought about a lot, but I don't have the time to write a lot email about
> it.  I think that anyone who wants to be of real help in this area needs to
> learn most of what there is to know about MIG and the Mach IPC interfaces,
> as well as about CORBA, before they'll have the context to get started
> making useful changes.

I think the whole thing can be summed up in that some people thing
using CORBA for IPCs is too slow, other people think it can be made
almost as fast as a traditional IPC, and my personal opinion is that
by taking advantage of the higher level information of CORBA and using
optimizations in kernel space, we may be able to get it *faster* than
traditional IPC.  (I wouldn't try it any time soon though.)  What's
the problem with all this?  It's *all* opinion.  I've yet to hear any
conclusive proof for anything, so of course it's going nowhere.