Re: Not so silly question about the name of the Hurd

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:52:23AM -0800, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 07:05:54PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 09:58:59AM -0800, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > Can you at least tell us the preferred form for English?
> >
> > "the Hurd" is the correct form.
>
> "Are you THE Zaphod Beeblebrox", asked the pink winged creature.
> "No, I'm just A Zaphod Beeblebrox.  Didn't you hear I come in 6 packs now?"
>  - Slightly paraphrased from Restaurant at the End of the Universe,
> Douglas Adams.
>
> Of course, standard English says that any word starting with 'h' should
> be considered to have started with a vowel for grammatical purposes.
>
> "I run an Hurd system, you run an hurd...."

I don't think that this is correct. 'An' is used before a word if it sounds like
starting with a vowel.  E.g. "I should be done in AN hour",  "I have A horse".

Quoting from webster under the defition for herd.

1: to assemble or move in a herd
                          ^

IANA-Linguist.