cross-install problem (still)

hi

today i tried to install debian gnu/hurd as described in "The easy guide
to installing Hurd on a Linux box.". i used the files from my local
sunsite mirror (sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debian) on my potato box
(with dpkg 1.6.15).

cross-install aborts the installation after installing less and
ed (optional packages), saying:

ERROR: dpkg did return unusual messages, please investigate:
INSTALLATION ABORTED!

warning, `temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field
`Origin'
warning, `temp_build/dpkg/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field
`Bugs'
dpkg-deb: ignoring 2 warnings about the control file(s)
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not
configured.
  hurd provides login but is unpacked but not configured.
  perl-5.005-base provides perl5-base but is unpacked but not
configured.

INSTALLATION ABORTED because of unknown errors. Partial installation
is NOT usable. Correct the error and start from scratch.

i found a mail in the list archive reporting this problem, but no
solution. has anyone experienced the same? is there a known solution?

regards
stefan
--
stefan ott                           cellular: +41.79.2459777
stefan@desire.ch                        phone: +41.62.8274115

"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile." -- Karl Lehenbauer