Re: cross-install's dpkg dependency

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 09:33:36PM +0300, Juho Östman <jostman@myrealbox.com> was heard to say:
> At 10:43 23.5.2000 -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   It occured recently to me that requiring dpkg to be installed for the .deb
> >installation method of the Hurd is a nuisance for a significant number of
> >people (as evidenced by periodic postings to this list)  Since the
> >cross-install
> >scripts only use dpkg as a simple archive extractor, it seems like we should
> >be able to replace it with calls to ar, tar, and gzip by fiddling with
> >dpkg-hurd a little bit.  I looked over the script and it looks quite doable,
> >probably the work of a few hours at most.  Does anyone know of any reason
> >that this wouldn't be possible?  If not, I may look into it this evening..
>
> I think it may be required to build the package database on to the target
> system but
> I am not sure.

  Ah, I see.  These are just big text files, right?  Could we easily construct
them ourselves? (ie, what needs to be done to get this right?)

  The file lists can be gotten from (IIRC):
ar p <whatever> data.tar.gz | gunzip -c | tar t

  Maintainer scripts and other control.tar.gz stuff can be extracted directly.
Other stuff in the dpkg database is status info (which looks like it could be
generated by running sed over the package control files in a clever way, but
maybe not?), diversion info (used by dpkg-divert in postinsts, I don't /think/
that dpkg-hurd touches this), and alternative info (similarly used in postinsts)

  I think. :)

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|   This space   |  "Vengeance for what??"  "For making me, by dint of your   |