Re: Install Problem in GNU/Hurd: Stuck with Grub....

Ollosa Albert-QSG1041 <QSG1041@Manila.mot.com> writes:

>        7. # dd if=bin/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1  ---  I think I did
> this under /boot/grub...
>        8. # dd if=bin/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

You should use seek=1 instead of count=1 in the second "dd".

> **  12. At Grub Prompt> root (hd1,12)
>                       Selected cylinder exceeds max supp. by BIOS.    --
> This message appears....

I too get this if I try to access my main partitions with GRUB.
My BIOS is too old, I guess.  I have worked around it by making a
separate 64MB /boot partition at the beginning of the disk and
putting gnumach and serverboot there.  servers.boot can be in the
main Hurd partition since it's loaded with GNUmach's drivers.

> How do I activate the Window in Grub?

Do you mean the menu?  That appears automatically if you have
defined its contents in the config file (menu.lst).

> If I use this command for *.5.94:    # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>     mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad ......

I guess your floppy doesn't contain a file system.

You can make a GRUB boot floppy with a file system.  Just follow
the hard-disk installation instructions but use (fd0) as the
target device.

Please don't.