Re: Install report

Hi,
	Thanks for this.

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Bob Ham wrote:

> Last night I completed an install using the hurd-D1.iso cd image.  I
> did, however, have some problems.  The method that I was to mount the
> image file on a loop device and use the cross-install, dpkg-hurd and
> native-install scripts that I downloaded a couple of months ago.
>
> All was fine until running native-install the second time.  It seems
> that libnss-db and libdb2-util were not install, and so dpkg was
> throwing dependency fits.  After getting the .debs on the hurd partition
> and sorting those packages out, I came accross another problem.

Now that should not have happened, it didn't with me.

> Doing a 'dpkg --configure hurd' caused the error message 'install-info:
> failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory'.  This error
> also came up on a lot of other packages when I tried to run 'dpkg
> --configure --pending'.  Then, while trying to view
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/hurd.postinst, I accidentally ran it.  I tried to ^C
> it, but I don't think that worked, as I still got an error message about
> not being called with inappropriate arguements or something. Then, doing
> a 'dpkg --configure hurd' worked, as did --pending.

I am glad something worked!

> So, all's now installed and (relatively) happy.  However, there were
> another couple of things.  On boot, I get an error (I believe from some
> part of the kernel):
> "hd03: bad access: block=28, count=2, blockend=30, nr_sects2".

Hummmph.  Sounds like a duff iso image or CD.

> Also, I've got a few suggested additions for the CD image for Mr
> Charles. Firstly, it would be good if the cross-install & co. scripts
> were there, as I had to use versions from quite a while back.  Also, the
> kernel source would be a good idea.  And just one more small thing: the
> hurd-doc/walf-install.html file has '@option{-o}' style bits about the
> place, which I assume are markup and shouldn't be there?

Where is the best place to get the cross-install scripts?  There are signs
that the CD is getting full so there will probably be no room for kernel
source, however, the kernel-configs for the various flavours of Linux
installation kernels are included.  I hadn't noticed the walf-install.html
glitch.

Now for hurd-E1.iso.  Before Christmas?

Thanks.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818