Re: Problem booting the HURD.

David Leimbach wrote:

> I have a problem with compatibility on an ATA card.
> Are there any MACH kernel options that will allow me to specify where my ide
> drives really are.
>
> Grub sees the drives just fine as well as linux and Windows.  MACH cannot seem
> to find the root directory so I am not able to finish my installation.

Please be more specific. What was the partition name containing Hurd in
Linux, what was output of Grub, what did Mach say?
As mentioned in all installation guides Mach has other names for drives
than Grub has, i.e. Mach slices are 1-indexed . Some people (including
me) found Mach naming the drives like Linux, ide1-master=hd0,
ide1-slave=hd1(even if there's actual no drive connected),
ide2-master=hd2...

> If there are no MACH options to set perhaps I can aid in getting support in
> MACH for my drive.

There might be problems with ATA-66 controllers/drives, that conflict
with some networkcard-drivers. In this case you have to build your own
Mach-kernel.

How did you find out about the Hurd? Which installation guide did you
use and how usable was it?

Patrick