Re: Hurd CD

Am Die, 21 Nov 2000 01:20:52 schrieb Philip Charles:
> Looking forward to the E series using boot-floppies 2.2.18.
>
> At the moment dselect 1.7.1 does not seem to handle contrib.  It falls
> over in a heap.  Any ideas?

No, maybe report this as a normal bug against dpkg.

> ******** These are the conflicts that debian-cd detected.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   bsdutils: Depends: sysvinit (>= 2.59-2) but it is not installable

Right, installation of bsdutils must be forced. We don't have an
implementation of the init procedure that works on the Hurd, sorry.

>   debconf: Depends: libapt-pkg2.7 but it is not installable
>            Conflicts: apt (< 0.3.12.1) but 0.1.9 is installed

apt is at alpha.gnu.org. 0.3.19 doesn't build from source, so I
can't upload it to debian.org. Maybe I should do it anyway, as
all bugs are reported and hopefully fixed in the next version.

Note that apt 0.1.9 is horrible broken.

>   dpkg-hurd-dev: Conflicts: dpkg-dev

dpkg-hurd-dev is obsolete. I will file a bug.

>   elvis-tiny: PreDepends: libncurses4 but it is not installed
>   emacs20: Depends: libncurses4 but it is not installed.
>   gdb: Depends: libncurses4 (>= 4.2-3.1) but it is not installed

Those should be recompiled, but isn't libncurses4 still available?
(If not, they need to be recompiled *soon* :)

>   hurd: Conflicts: makedev
>         Conflicts: login

What's the problem with this? hurd conflicts provides and replaces them.
Seems to be a bug in the diagnostic script.

>   libc0.2-dev: Depends: gnumach-dev but it is not installed
>   libnss-db: Depends: libdb2-util but it is not installed

Again, hu? What are the problems? What does "is not installed" mean?
I don't understand if that means that they should be installed,
that they are not in the archive, or what.

>   libstdc++2.10-dev: Depends: libc6-dev (>= 2.1.95)

libc6-dev is provided by libc0.2-dev. Versioned dependencies
on provided packages don't seem to work, or the script can't handle
that. dpkg will support it soon, hopefully, and the script should
detect those as valid, too (then).

>   locales: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2-1) but it is not installable

That's a bug in locales, I will report that.

>            Depends: i18ndata (= 2.2-1) but it is not installed

See above.

>   login: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.0.93) but it is not installable

login must be removed from the archive, it is dangerous to install it.
(That's why the Hurd conflicts with it). I think I reported that long
ago, will check.

>   modconf: Depends: whiptail but it is not installable
>            Depends: modutils (>= 2.1.85-14) but it is not installable

modconf is linux only. It's wrong that it is in binary-all.
The same is true for makedev. There is no easy solution but to
make them binary specific, which is ugly for the linux people.

>   mtools: Depends: xlib6g (>= 3.3.2.3a-2) but it is not installed

xlib6g is on alpha.gnu.org. X compiles, but the packages don't
have my patches yet.

>   netbase: Depends: net-tools but it is not installable or
>                     iproute but it is not installable
>            Depends: ifupdown but it is not installable
>            Depends: ipchains but it is not installable or
>                     ipfwadm but it is not installable or
>                     iptables but it is not installable
>            Depends: netkit-inetd but it is not installable
>            Depends: netkit-ping but it is not installable or
>                     iputils-ping but it is not installable

netbase needs to be ported. I have not looked at it yet.

>   perl-5.005-doc: Conflicts: perl-doc
>   perl-5.6-doc: Conflicts: perl-doc

That is either a bug in the script, or irrelevant.
I don't understand what this has to do with us :)

>   pppconfig: Depends: ppp (>= 2.3.7) but it is not installable

Yep, we don't have ppp, as it is linux specific. Same as
makedev and modconf. When we will have some ppp, it will be different
from the linux one.

>   shellutils: Conflicts: login (< 19990827-1)

That is a problem in dpkg. versioned conflicts should not be matched
with provided packages, and login is provided by dpkg.

>   tcsh: Depends: libncurses4 but it is not installed

See above.

>   tcsh-i18n: Depends: tcsh (>= 6.08.01-3) but 6.08.01-2.2 is installed or
>                       tcsh-kanji but it is not installable

I think some update would fix that.

> apt

ok

> at
> bsdmainutils
> bsdutils
> cron
> debconf

no ok

> dpkg-dev

wrong choice, dpkg-hurd-dev should be removed.

> emacs20
> emacsen-common
> exim
> g++
> libstdc++2.10-dev
> locales

not ok

> login

wise :)

> logrotate
> lynx
> mailx

not ok

> makedev
> modconf

wise :)

> mtools

grmpfh. it is right to remove it, but I don't want it to :)

> mutt

not ok

> netbase

right

> perl-5.6-doc

I think it is right. We don't have perl 5.6 compiled yet.
Will do.

> pppconfig

Right.

> tcsh-i18n

See above, I think it is right about it.

> ******  These are the packages that debian-cd subseqently added.
>
> gnumach-dev
> libdb2-util
> libncurses4

I don't know what debian-cd does, why were they left out first?