Re: My experience with Hurd

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> > First, I installed Hurd using the tarball and then tried to update it -
> > that didn't work, but I couldn't figure out why.
>
> No error messages?

I apologize, I should have been a little more specific here.  Part of my
job is tech support, I should know enough not to be vague.  ;-)

Anyways, it just hung trying to install the packages.  I'm not sure if it
was due to having no swap partition (256MB of ram though, so I didn't
figure I'd need one) or what.  It didn't completely hang, I could rlogin
from another machine and see what was going on.

> > So I decided to use cross-install.  That didn't work either since I was
> > running the release Debian 2.2, not woody.  Once I got woody installed,
> > cross-install went a lot better.
>
> That should not matter.  Again, any error messages?

There were error messages appearing to be about dependancies.  It also
complained about unrecognized tags (I think, sorry) in the package file.

I'm going to blow away the hurd/linux box and redo all of this from
scratch so that I can give you the exact errors.  I'm not going to
duplicate the errors with the tarball, just with cross-install since that
is probably the more important of the two.

I'll submit a more complete report in an hour or so.

-- Dave Kimmel
   criscokid@v-wave.com
   ICQ: 5615049