Re: Installation Guide

friedt@lpmo.univ-fcomte.fr writes:

> I would need a little bit of help on translating some words for which I
> do not have a french equivalent (such as cross-compilation) and on the
> .texi format (seems I have some problems at compilation with the French
> accents in the titles) : I typed the .texi document as I would have done for
> a LaTeX document (replacing the \'e by @'e).

This is a little tricky; using latin1 characters directly in the .texi
file works fine in info and html, but gives the wrong output in TeX.
And the otherway around for TeX-style accents.

Some time ago I made a hack at texinfo.tex to make @documentencoding
support latin1. It's not perfect (hyphenation will not work quite
right with the "strange" characters, but I don't know TeX well enough
to improve that). Hopefully this or something better will be included
in some future release of texinfo.

See http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/archive/texinfo.tex-patch and
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/archive/ISO-8859-1.def.

/Niels