Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)

> Anything that can be done to make the HURD available on more
> processor architectures would be a good thing. But my impression is
> that the work the needs to be done is to port the HURD to OSKit Mach
> and to port OSKit Mach to other architectures.
Then you would still be stuck with Mach which we try to overcome. L4 is
completely different from Mach and I'm wondering how you plan to port
a Mach variant to L4 (or even implement this sub-hurd hosting on foreign OS)!

> Since the HURD is a GNU OS I would suggest that glibc is going to be
> an integral part of the system for anyone wanting to run it.
I have nothing against keeping glibc as main official C library for the Hurd.
I have just suggested to keep the dependencies of the Hurd form glibc to a
bare minimum, just like other GNU programs that are _not_ dependent on
glibc as well (!!). Having the option to choose betwenn glibc and other
(POSIX-compliant?) C libraries cannot be that bad, can it?

> Nic Ferrier

Regards,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net