Re: Trying to compile

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brent Fulgham" <brent.fulgham@xpsystems.com>
To: "Frederico S. Muñoz" <frederico.munoz@capgemini.pt>;
<debian-hurd@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 5:37 PM
Subject: RE: Trying to compile

> > The first victim was tree, that vital component of every
> > system; I got the src deb, made a dpkg-source -x ***.dsc
> > (I had the diff and the tar.gz) and it expanded nicely;
> > I then made a simple configure && make; there were
> > issued with MAXPATHLEN - I red about that in the Debian
> > GNU/Hurd page; seing this, I made such a brutish hack that
> > I won't even sy it in public; anyway, ir compiled and it worked.
> >
> Great.  I think Neal may have come up with a more permanent
> solution, but perhaps this was just for one package.

Well, I was happy to see it work, but there must be a real solution (well,
since we are on a private mailing list I will share my shameful hack: I
changed every ocurrence of MAXPATHLEN with 30!!!!)

> > After that I had a go with epic, same process, same
> > MAXPATHLEN error, same brutish hack, but this time it gave
> > a linker error, apparently all the function in term.o that
> > are supported by a term lib (neither termcap or
> > terminfo were detected during configure) fail to link.
> >
> It sounds like you don't have development libraries installed
> for these packages.

Damn, you are prolly right, IIRC I didn't dl most of the development libs!
Since I was trying to get the system to install I just installed the minimum
binaries; this was a dumb question, I'll get right back to it after I clear
that up!

(...)

> It sounds like you are missing the development pieces of
> termcap/terminfo.  Check the "devel" directory at ftp.debian.org
> under the Hurd and see if you find what you need.

ACK

Thanks,

Frederico S. Muñoz
fsmunoz@sdf.lonestar.org