instalation from redhat

I installed the hurd from a redhat system. Using the tar.gz file that
was given in  http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/easy.html
It worked ok

Then I made a copy of these files
/boot/gnumach.gz
/boot/server.boot
/boot/serverboot.gz
Then I installed using the cross install method and the instillation
would not boot.
I copped the files back
And things work again.

I would gess that the files in the debian package is corrupt.
Or that the instructions for cross installing are incorrect.
It could also be because of the redhat system that I cross installed
from.
I did receive errors when I was installing the debian packages  However
they all seemed to install ok.

I am interested to know what is wrong with the packages. And  would be
interested in writing
some info for installing the hurd from a redhat system