Re: oskit-mach binary

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 01:16:52AM +0200, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:
> Some time ago, I asked about is anyone was thinking about sound
> support on the hurd. They said there was nothing yet, but that
> maybe oskit-mack would make it easier to implement. Will it???

Maybe. I don't know if oskit contains sound, but probably not. It will not
make it necessarily easier, but cleaner and more people can profit.

Hacking some OSS sound stuff into gnumach shouldn't be too hard.
However, all those ioctls can be a pain for the translator (you need to glue
them in with mig, see kbd translator in the next hurd package available
tomorrow).

> I just saw X-packages was ready, and sound is the other thing
> I cannot live without. I'll download X tomorrow and (if it works,)
> see if I can get gtk and python-gtk working.

I will make an announcement when I have uploaded X tomorrow.
Maybe gtk will be available tomorrow, too. I am just d/l the source.
However, I am not a python guy, and help on this end is certainly
appreciated.

The last time I tried gtk it was painless, EXCEPT the MAXPATHLEN issue in the
file selection widget. Torsten Landschoff wanted to give it a try, but
didn't came to it yet (torsten@debian.org). See
http://bugs.gnome.org/db/45/4524.html

I will aim for a simple Debian-only work around by setting MAXPATHLEN to an
arbitrary value if not defined. This will enable us to compile, upload and
test it, while a real fix is pending.

If you are interested in gnome as well, it would be great if you could work
on that instead gtk (assuming I upload gtk tomorrow). There are a lot of
libraries to get gnome working, and I would appreciate a list in the order
they can be compiled (dependencies!), and a status flag works/works not on
the Hurd. For example, imlib is important. So are the various graphic format
libs (libtiff etc. Not all of them build cleanly).

It gets interesting, folks!