Re: XFree, an on-going story (plus a newbie question)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 07:06:50PM -0700, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > > ps:  XFree86-1 (3.3.6) will soon be gutted. It will only provide support
> > >      for hardware not supported by X4, and for libc5 compatibility.  I'm
> > >      also in the process of pruning the upstream source tree, to remove the
> > >      code that will no longer be used.  The potato package won't be subject
> > >      to this, of course.  Will this sabotage the HURD effort?
> >
> > Yes, completely and entirely. I don't know of anybody working on 4.0
> > (although probably there is a pioneer somewhere out there), and I am
> > certainly not touching the Debian packages of 4.0 until I got 3.3.6 working,
> > which is hard enough, but with guaranteed success (we already know 3.3.6 an
> > be made to work, that's our motivation).
>
> I was working on getting 4.0 to work at the beginning of this summer,
> and was making fairly good progress before GNOME/Nautilus decided to
> consume all my time.

How about sending whatever you had to bug-hurd, so it is available to us
when someone wants to carry on where you stopped? It would avoid doubled
effort.

> 4.x looks to be an *easier* platform to support
> than 3.x originally was, though obviously the codebase is so different
> that the old work on 3.x is less useful.

Roland and Brent suggested the same, but I had spent so much time on 3.x
already that it was worth finishing it. And joy, a couple of minutes ago I
fixed the "last" problem! So expect completely functional X packages soon.
(I am away tomorrow, but saturday...)

> The GNU target is still there,
> though I doubt the XF4 team has tested it and made it work ;-) (and it
> certainely didn't work out of the box for me)

People want results soon, that's why I stuck with the older version, which
always worked partially. I don't know much about X, an have only limited
time. But I hope what I learned is not completely useless with X 4.0.

Having X easily available is also an image gain. People can ask: Does X run?
and we can shout: Yes! instead whispering "well, someone somewhere reported
that he had a friend once who eventually came up with ..." :)