Re: XFree, an on-going story (plus a newbie question)

Brent Fulgham <brent.fulgham@xpsystems.com> writes:

> We need help with:
>
> 1.  Web site management for hurd.sourceforge.net

I could help with that... actually that's what I do at work, I'm an
Internet Technical Consultant (generic title given to any who can
start FrontPage). I will write to the webmasters offering whatever
help I can offer.

> 2.  Documentation of the Hurd internals (may be difficult to
> accomplish)

Eh, I wish I could unserstand the Hurd internals :)

> 3.  Otherwise, get software you like to use and try to compile it.
> If it fails, note why, do any investigating you are capable of and
> report back to the list.  We can help with suggestions of where to go
> next, how things work, etc.

Ok, KI was thinking about that one, I will try it and even try to fix
whatever goes wrong... but you all will be swaped by compiling
problems that are obvious to you but impossible to me :)

> 4.  Try using the Hurd in a day-to-day manner.  This will probably cause
> it to crash at some point.  Identify repeatable cases where this happens
> and report back to the list so we all can investigate and help bulletproof
> the system.

Yes, that one seems pretty obvious, I will do that.

> 5.  Torture your Hurd box by running big builds, using it as a web server,
> etc. and document what makes it crash.  Help with the forensic analysis.

ACK

> That's all I can think of right now...

... and that's more than enough :)

Thanks for the topics, I really needed some starters.

I will also make a small page at sdf.lonestar.org in portuguese with
GNU/Hurd info and links, then you can all link to it and ppl will be
amazed by the international scope of the OS :)

best regards,

Frederico S. Muñoz
fsmunoz@sdf.lonestar.org