Mounting cdrom with tarball

I have had no luck in mounting an ide cdrom using with the tarball (second
to latest version).  What support is there for mounting CDs in the
tarball?  I suspect that if there is any it will be rather limited.

I am proposing to add another utility to the installation CD which will
copy the .deb file system onto the Hurd partition so it is accessible to
dpkg/dselect/apt.

I could also build a floppy set which would contain the Debian packages (I
hate to think how many) if people thought this would be helpful.

The advantage of the Debian installation CDs is that they can use a wide
rage of cdrom-drives. I suspect that this is far more than a Hurd
installation.  Any comments?  Please keep in mind that my expertise is
installation CDs, not Hurd hacking.

I will be away until Monday.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818