Re: Getting started (where is documentation)

> I am trying to make sense of the current pfinet, but I don't have the
> Mach/HURD programming basics down.
>
> Is there any place where somebody has written a simple Hello World server
> for the HURD? A Hello World translator? How relavant is the CMU Mach
> documentation to GNU Mach? As you can see I am still trying to get an
> undersatnding of Mach/HURD basics.

Yes, several, look in <hurd-src>/trans

> Also I have seen some documentation on a server interface for CMU Mach. Would
> this be helpful in HURD hacking?

Reading the CMU books can be very helpful, however, many interfaces are
different.

> I do have the HURD links file, but sometimes it is not helpful to have so
> much information. Where would be the best place to start?

I would recommend the GNU Hurd Reference Manual (found on hurd.gnu.org) and
``Mach Kernel Principal'' by CMU found at:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/mach/public/www/doc/osf.html

-Neal

--
Neal H Walfield