Re: State of ppp

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Ramakrishnan M wrote:
> James Franklin wrote:
> >
> > http://kt.linuxcare.com/debian-hurd/dh20000816_57.epl#2
>
> After going through the messages some obvious questions are popping up in my
> mind.
>
> 1. There was a reference to a patch (by Thomas Bushnell) to pfinet to counter
> its current limitation of handling only one interface (i.e ethernet +
> loopback). Is this patch integrated into the main source code? If not, where is
> the patch? Why was it not integrated into the mainstream?
>
> 2. I found that a hell lot of discussions on "HOwto do it" has happened in this
> list, without any logical conclusion. I do not claim to understand each and
> every method suggested. Why is it so difficult to fix up a way to implement it?
>
> I think once we fix the way to go, rest of the job will be smooth.
>
> Without PPP, I don't think, individuals (particularly in Asia), will be able to
> try out GNU/Hurd, and hence the development and usage will suffer. Without PPP,
> GNU/Hurd will remain a research OS for ever. PPP is an imeediate necessity and
> we need to act fast to make it happen.
>
> --
> Ramakrishnan.M
>

> --

I am trying to make sense of the current pfinet, but I don't have the
Mach/HURD programming basics down.

Is there any place where somebody has written a simple Hello World server
for the HURD? A Hello World translator? How relavant is the CMU Mach
documentation to GNU Mach? As you can see I am still trying to get an
undersatnding of Mach/HURD basics.

Also I have seen some documentation on a server interface for CMU Mach. Would
this be helpful in HURD hacking?

I do have the HURD links file, but sometimes it is not helpful to have so
much information. Where would be the best place to start?

Dan
Daniel E. Baumann
E-mail: baumannd@msoe.edu (preferred)
        baumannd@users.sourceforge.net
        baumannd@penguinpowered.com
        baumannd@obfuscation.penguinpowered.com (caution: dynamic DNS)

Web location: 	http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd
                http://www.linuxfreak.com/~baumannd

"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."

      -- Dave Olson