Re: Hurd freezes while booting

jfranklin@etworld.com (James Franklin) writes:

First of all thank you very much for your help; I was begining to
think that I was alone in this crusade :) Apparently it's the
opposite, as the links you gave me show that a lot of ppl are actively
developing the Hurd.

> Hi Frederico,
>   Check under the link that says hardware compatibility in the document
> linked below.
>
> http://angg.twu.net/a/the_hurd_links.html

Yes, I checked, everything seems to be alright...

Arch : x86 (i686 Athlon 700 falls here)
Bus : PCI
Memory : 128 SDRAM
Video Card : ATI Xpress 2000 (Ati Rage 128 in Xfree)
Controller : IDE (here I have doubts since my IDE is on-board, but the
disk is red by GRUB, gnumach loads and even identifys the IDE devices,
so it must be ok)
HD : Samsung SV1824D, 18 GB
Floppy : standard
Ethernet controller: not supported (SiS 900 10/100)
Sound Card: SB128 (ess1371), not supported of course :)
CDROM : ATAPI
CD/RW : Philips CDRW400 (don't know if supported, prolly not)
Mouse : serial 3-button  Logitech
USB : not supported (connects to a Mustek scanner, prolly not supported as
well)
Printer : HP DeskJet 840C

I also remeber that I didn't gave the sparse_super option when making
hda3 ext2... could this be it?

> also Neil Walfield is running a test of his new install pages this weekend.
> You may want to go in that direction.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd-0009/msg00140.html
> http://www.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/hurd.html
> http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/

Well, I will try to recompile GNUMach, as it seems that some drivers
can cause the crash... I hope I can do it :)
It can also be because of IRQ sharing... but I really wouldn't know
about that... and I need the box to work on, so ripping it apart piece
by piece to found an offending hardware will have to be a last resort.

> Have fun and welcome to the hurd
> Jim

Ehe, thank you, I will be having even more fun when the thing goes
past boot ;)

Frederico S. Muñoz
fsmunoz@sdf.lonestar.org