Re: A new install guide

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:32:17AM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> Neal H Walfield writes:
>  > Hi All,
>  >
>  > I have developed a new install guide as the easy guide has become
>  > quite out of date.  This one was written in the texinfo format so it is
>
> Hm. I've been working on some updates - do you want to check the
> current version and see how in-date it is? I think it's pretty
> current, but I get very little feedback about the easy guide, which
> makes this hard.
>
>  > also a bit more portable.
>
> I don't know of anyone without an HTML reader...

Sure. But the "official" documentation system of GNU is texinfo, I think.

> I've read your instructions, and I think they're probably less helpful
> for the novice user - in writing the easy guide, I tried to exaplain
> everything on a need to know basis - people installing the hurd for
> the first time aren't going to want to bother compiling their own GRUB
> image, I'd have thought.

You could add to it how to replace LILO with GRUB in the
harddisk. Novice users could like to be able to boot Hurd from the
harddisk instead of needing a boot floppy. Also GRUB is more pretty
than LILO (for me).

> gnu.org have just been moving their servers around, so I've not
> updated teh gnu.org version. Hopefully they'll be installing OpenSSH
> RSN, which will make my life much easier for updating the gnu.org
> version.
>
> In the mean time, my own personal hurd box has been converted into my
> radiolan router, so I'm looking for a new machine to play with hurd on
> (I presume use of VMWare of hurd development is still deprecated, and
> freemware is unusable).
>
> Do people think the Easy Guide is worthwhile? I get very little but
> complaints about it.

Easy Guide is fine. It helped me -A LOT- when I installed the Hurd for
the first time. But when I review it now, I see that there are a lot
of ideas explained in short paragraphs, so this need you to do a
slowly read.

Bye

> Regards,
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
> http://www.pick.ucam.org
>

> --

Juli-Manel Merino Vidal

Email: jmmv@mail.com