Re: Problems installing hurd on i386

Hi,

This is not your problem;  Otherwise, it seems unlikely that you could
have gotten as far in the boot process as you did.

Do you have SCSI enabled in your BOIS?  If so, try turning it off and
seeing if that helps.  Eitherway, which tarball are you using?

-Neal

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 10:54:30AM +0000, Philip Charles wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>
> > hi,

> >     Philip> If your root file-system is mounted on /gnu (the tarball
> >     Philip> is this) rather than / the you need to use:-
> >
> >     Philip> kernel=/gnu/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s12 -s
> >     Philip> module=/gnu/boot/serverboot.gz boot
> >
> >     Philip> Another little confusion.
> >
> > 	Are you sure?  This is very funny.  Because under linux I have
> > mounted /dev/hda12 as /gnu and as far as grub is concerned there is no
> > /gnu.  In other words, there is no gnu directory under /dev/hda12.
> > There is only a gnu directory on /dev/hda1 and I have mounted
> > /dev/hda12 onto this directory.
> >
> > So from linux where /dev/hda12 is mounted as /gnu I get
> >
> > $ ls /gnu/boot/
> > gnumach.gz*  serverboot.gz*  servers.boot  servers.boot.dpkg-new
> > $
> >
> > 	There is only a partition at (hd0,11) so if I said
> > /gnu/boot/gnumach.gz grub will not find it at all.  Right?
> >

> When I looked at the installed tarball with Linux I saw /target/gnu/boot.
> In fact all the root system was mounted on /target/gnu/ and not /target/
> /target was the mount-point for the HURD partition.
>
> What I did was to move the whole root file system to / which made things a
> lot easier.  I was working with an installation ram-disk when I did this.

Neal H Walfield                                            neal@walfield.org
University of Massachusetts at Lowell                    nwalfiel@cs.uml.edu
Fax: 603-415-3645                                        Phone: 978 531 6587
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
                -- H. L. Mencken