Re: Strange mc working.

Nalim wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:24:50 +0200
>  Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > > 2. Why kernel crash,when I change
> dir
> > > /dev in mc.
> >
> > It shouldn't, but I don't know what mc
> > does with the files beside stat()'ing
> > them. You should try to run mc under
> > gdb and see where it crashes.
> > Of
> > course, that's not easy if it is a
> > kernel fault. How does the crash look
> > like?
> Kernel page fault at address 0x8 eip
> 0x15 f9d24.5.51/src
> Kernel page fault trap, eip 0x15f9d2
> Kernel trap, type 14, code 0 8 20:15
> Dump of i386_saved_state 0589fc74 16:25
> EAX ....
> panic trap

This looks horrible, and I have not seen
anything like this for ... quite some time.
This might be a hardware problem. Can you go
to /dev and do "ls -l FILE" on each individual
file? If it crashes, at which file?
If it doesn't crash, we will have to take a look
at mc, and write a small test program that does
what mc does.
(or you could use gdb with mc...)