Re: Debian GNU/Hurd 0.3 -> 1.0

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 09:00:18PM +0200, Erik Enge wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > When it is ready. Note that GNU/Hurd 0.3 will appear independently and
> > probably sooner. The Debian release number is coupled to the Linux release.
>
> And it is the authors who decide when it is ready, but they to do
> so, they must have a goal to measure their work up agains.  Where can I
> find that goal?

The only official item on the todo list before next release is:

* Next release:
** transparent FTP working

(from hurd TODO file)

This seems to work, but is a bit buggy to. So debugging this is one task.

> > > What needs to be done before Debian GNU/Hurd 1.0 ships?
> >
> > About ten times as much as already has happened.
>
> Are someone even thinking about it?  Long-term goals etc., strategic
> planning.

You can bet on it that I am thinking about it a good deal almost every day.

> I know it might sound a bit business/management like, but
> atleast I think that planning is a big part of a project this big.  Some
> planning is bound to have been done, but I can't find any information
> about it.

If I would spend my time on documenting my thoughts and plans, I would have
no time left to work on it. I leak plenty of hints and tasks on the mailing
lists, and sometimes people ask me about what to do and I make suggestions.

There are also tasks lists in CVS and on the web (look at the Debian GNU/Hurd
page)

Nobody can say that it is hard to find a job related to Hurd. At least, if
you really want to help and can't find anything, let me know [and provide a
small description about what you like to do, so I can try a best match] :)