Re: Easy Install tweaks

> The -O none is only necessary if you are either using an old hurd or an
> old grub, neither you should. It's worth pointing it out and explaining the
> situation, so people can decide if they need to use -O none or not.

Oh, well, I will try it again w/o the -O hurd and see what happens.

> I hope you are not looking at a recent version of the easy guide.
> Otherwise I hope that Matthew will fix this soon :)

I think the one I was reading was the latest...hold on...

http://www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/easy.html

Both are the same as far as the above lines.

> That's okay, as long as the second run is okay. Didn't you read
> the screen? It even waits for a key press:

Yes, but there were more than I anticipated. I'm going to go
thru the install again this weekend and I can try to
give you exact messages and package names, but I think it
was something like a "package missing" error and perl was
one of them.

> If you didn't, this might be a reason why Ctrl-C didn't work.
> But maybe there is another bug, I will make some tests.

No, I decided to try to ping before I rebooted.

> > One thing that I think would be nice to link off of the Easy Guide
> > is a "walkthrough" like what OpenBSD has on their page. It's just
> > a script of the stdout during the install, but it helps a newbie
> > get an idea of what is "normal" looking and what is not.
>
> Yes, that's a good idea.

I will look at the scripts and try to figure out a way to
capture my install. Matthew and I have discusses the walkthrough
a little offlist. If I can capture it then I will let the hurddocs-volunteer
list know so that it can be added to the site.

> Let us know if you have further comments or problems. Welcome to the Hurd!

Thanks. I'm looking forward to hacking. :)

> > Nathan Valentine - nrvale0@uky.edu
> > University of Kentucky Distributed Computing Systems Lab
>                 ^^^^^^^^
> PS: Are you hearing a lot of jokes related to chickens?

Um, no. I don't get it. You mean because of KFC?

--
---
Nathan Valentine - nrvale0@uky.edu
University of Kentucky Distributed Computing Systems Lab
AIM: NRVesKY ICQ: 39023424