Re: Gnumach/Hurd on 8 MB Boxes?

> Does the Hurd run with only 8 MB of RAM?

Not very well.  Maybe not at all.  You probably need to have some swap to

> One first big problem I'm encountering here, is the requirement of an
> ext2fs filesystem for the Hurd in its current setup.

There is no such requirement.  The Hurd supports both ext2fs and ufs, and
can use either as the boot/root filesystem.  Much more testing has been
done on ext2fs in the last couple of years, however.

> The boxes have currently a UFS filesystem + BSD disklabel on them and the
> Mach4 kernel is running a ufs filesystem server on them. The Hurd seems
> to need an ext2fs (ext2fs.static), at least to put the translator bits

Just replace ext2fs with ufs and you should be fine.
Just don't run BSD fsck on those partitions.

> on. How can I get an ext2fs on those 8 MB RAM Boxes without Linux? AFAIK,

The last version of Lites I used (several years ago) had ext2fs.

> it's not possible anymore to install Linux on machines with less than 16
> MB RAM (also, I don't have space to burn on those i486 for extra Linux
> partitions). Is there any way to get the Hurd on them, even withouht
> Linux?

You don't need Linux partitions, you just need to boot Linux (or anything
that knows ext2fs, which FreeBSD does now too).