Re: Mailing List traffic and membership

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:
>   That's interesting, but what I'm more interested in is the reason
> why the number of developers doesn't increase, even though so many
> people subscribe to the list. This is not ironical but a purely
> academic interest for me.

<delurk>
Hello!

I am a long time lurker on this list. I even have the hurd installed and toy
around with it from time to time:-) I can only give you my reasons for not
being more active with the hurd development:

I am interessted in the idea of a micro-kernel and would like to use one --
because I like the idea so much -- but I am not interessted in low-level
kernel-related programming and I don't know too much about it, so I will
never be a real hurd-developer anyway. But that wouldn't stop me from porting
stuff to the hurd, doesen't it?

That's where the next thing comes in: The hurd does not yet support my
PCMCIA-network card. Marcus told me at the LinuxTag some weeks ago that it is
getting there, but until then it is no fun for me to run the hurd. Booting
the hurd, discovering something I forgot to download, so rebooting again to
download under linux, rebooting, ... and rebooting takes ages because of
those $§%$! scsi-controllers :-(

I could still cross-compile, but well, I would like to know the system a bit
better before I start doing so. Just a personal thing.

Something I didn't like at all about the hurd-project at the time I started
experimenting with it was the documentation. Thanks to the work of some
people on this list that situation got a _lot_ better. Keep up the good work,
especially in this area. As long as people can not get the hurd installed
properly (I had only an outdated description of the installation process to
guide me) they won't use it.

Well, I am waiting for the networking support and when I read that it works,
then I will try to get Berlin to run on the hurd. That's the moment you can
all point at me and laugh about me and my struggle ;-)

Well, until then:
</delurk>

Gruss,
Tobias

Tobias Hunger                  The box said: 'Windows 95 or better'
tobias@berlin-consortium.org                  So I installed Linux.