Re: Samba

There is not much in the way of file locking available in the Hurd, and in
particular we do not have facilities that match the POSIX semantics for
fcntl locking, or (I think) the BSD semantics for flock.  The specified
semantics are not very elegant from a component-model perspective, and thus
nontrivial to design Hurd protocols to properly support.  We (the core Hurd
developers) have discussed some ideas for new Hurd RPCs for locking, but
never fully resolved on a plan and the main issue is that noone has had the
time to make it a priority thing to work on.  If there is active interest
by someone who will do the implementation work, then I think we can manage
to dig up our thoughts on the issue and figure out a good way to go about
it.  But I don't know when any of the core Hurd developers might have the
time to actually do such an implementation.