Re: Could you forward this to the appropriate people?

on 5/27/00 9:45 AM, Joan Christgau at christgau@centuryinter.net wrote:

> I received this e-mail - I am guessing aimed at my 11 year old son based on
> the gaming sites he visited and registered with. I once saw posts from an
> ethical hackers group that attacked servers that host predators. I was
> hoping to get this e-mail to such a group. Thanks for your help.  Sorry - I
> forgot to copy the message:
>
> JTEEN HARCORE HOTTIES READY FOR ANYTHING
> THEY WILL TAKE IT ANYWAY THEY CAN GET IT!!
> CUM SEE THEM NOW,THIS SITE IS VERY SEXUALLY
> EXPLICIT SO YOU MUST BE OVER 18 to VIEW IT

This isn't a predator, it's one of millions of pounds of unsolicited junk
mail.  A human probably didn't send this message.

ETHICAL HACKERS attack businesses and anyone who usually pays them to break
in and evaluate the security of their system.  They usually belong to
companies such as Veridian Trident Data Systems, and the freelance white-hat
is getting rarer.  They DO NOT violate free-speech terms nor damage
businesses markets.  To do so would be a crime much as you dislike X porn
site.  Since 99% of America ignores such site notices and junk mail and hits
the delete key every day, not enough people are complaining in a fashion
that would impose real restrictions on these sites... at least as far as
their junk mail purveyal goes.  The people at gnutella with their wall of
shame are actually trying to nab people looking at illegal porn (child,
etc.), though in a very unethical way.  If you are seriously concerned buy
Surfwatch or Netnanny and install it on your machine... though a determined
11 year old will disable them, and if you find that he has, you might as
well let him have a look since he's learning rather than damaging his mind
(unsolicited = more damage than sought after).  Besides 9 times out of 10 if
he isn't paying for anything he really won't see much... you can thank our
capitalist society for this.

P.S. This group focuses on a brand new operating system called the HURD...
we don't break into people's systems, and we really don't associate with
those who do.  Maybe someday I'll learn how to do that and work for
Veridian, but in the mean time I don't and wouldn't offer my services if I
did.

Now the question is how and where did you get this e-mail mailing list
address?  Who is the Hurd developer in the house?

AJ