Re: Getting GRUB onto the MBR of HD

On 25 May, Alain Hoang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I've managed to get the HURD installed on a secondary partition on one of
> my Debian boxes and made the GRUB floppy and got HURD to bootup fine and
> dandy however there doesn't seem to be any documentation describing a
> process of getting GRUB installed onto the MBR so I can load up the HURD
> without having a GRUB floppy.  I really need this since the box I'll be
> running HURD mainly from will not have a floppy drive.  If anyone knows
> how, some tips would be greatly appreciated.  In my case my partition
> layout is as follows:
>
> hd0s0: Linux Ext2 Partition for Linux
> hd0s1: Linux Swap
> hd0s2: Linux Ext2 Partition for HURD
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alain Hoang
> hoanga@alum.rpi.edu
> ----------
> hoanga@alum.rpi.edu

easiest way is to have a grub floppy
and using grub commandline type
install=(fd0)+1 (hd0) (hd0,2)/share/grub/stage2 0x8000 p
/share/grub/menu.lst
assuming taht stage 2 is in hurd partition and in dir /share/grub and
same for menu.lst
--
Everyone needs a little love sometimes; stop hacking and fall in love.
God is real unless declared integer.