Re: /home/user/var

Am Mon, May 22, 2000 at 10:11:52AM -0400 schrieb Cowboy:

> >> From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

> >> Well, of course there are more facettes to it than just lack of ideas (or
> >> "forgotten lore" :). Quite convincing arguments can be derived from the
> >> amount of existing code base and developer knowledge. If you have a cool OS
> >> but no software to run on it, and no developers who have the time to learn
> >> doing things the new way, the success becomes less likely.
>
>  Methinks this is crucial.
>  Something MUST be compatible with existing main-stream to obtain a significant
>  degree of success in short order.

Create a translator, e.g. config-files, that sits on the home directory of a user
(if he installed it) and identifies files .foorc with ~/etc/foorc or something the
user likes.

E.g. settrans ~ config-files --var=~/var --etc=~/etc
  or settrans ~ config-files --etc=~/.etc

That's translators are invented for.

--
Stefan Karrmann